Skip to main content

Key Points

  • Non-EU/EEA students who have studied and received a degree of higher education at a Belgian institution and have a residence card with a status of ”student” are eligible to apply
  • Any non-EU/EEA students who stayed in Belgium on a Student Mobility Program or received a degree in a foreign academic institution are eligible to apply
  • Foreign nationals looking to extend residence status in Belgium should ensure they have submitted their application at least 15 days prior to their Belgian student residence permit expiring
  • Students who are residing in Belgium during their studies using an M-card do not need to apply, as this group of individuals has unlimited access to the Belgian Labour market. M-cards apply to EU/EEA, Swiss, and UK students
  • All eligible applicants must have studied in Belgium


The Belgium government has introduced a residence permit that is available to recent graduates who are searching for employment opportunities within Belgium. The permit allows recent graduates to live in Belgium while searching for employment.

What’s changed?

The Belgian labour market will be more accessible to recent graduates that have not secured an employment opportunity in Belgium

Looking Forward

The Belgium labor market is taking steps to be less restrictive to foreign national students in hopes of retaining recent graduates in the labor market.

Source: Belgium Immigration Office

Close Menu

Corporate Immigration Partners

Chicago Office
+1 312-722-6300

Cincinnati Office
+1 513-381-2011

San Francisco Office
+1 415-771-7500

Europe, Middle East, and Africa
+44 20 34326564

+86 10 84053554