- Canada will provide assistance to Sudanese nationals impacted by the crisis in Sudan
The government of Canada introduced measures to assist Sudanese nationals currently located in Sudan. These measures include the following:
- As of April 30, 2023, Sudanese nationals in Canada are permitted to apply for an extension of stay or change their status from visitor, student, or temporary worker free of charge
- Sudanese nationals in Canada will be permitted to transfer between temporary work permit categories so long as they meet the work permit conditions
- Waiving the requirement for Sudanese nationals applying for permanent residence application to hold a passport or travel document
- The government will also prioritize complete applications already in Canada’s system for temporary and permanent residence from residents in Sudan if travel conditions permit
- Halting the removal of Sudanese nationals found not to hold valid permissions to stay in Canada
- Waiving fees associated with temporary residence applications
For additional information on these measures, check here.
What are the Changes?
The government of Canada will assist Sudanese nationals impacted by the crisis in Sudan. According to the government, these measures include free open work permits that will provide access to the labor market and help keep Sudanese nationals and their family members safe.
Continue to check the Government of Canada’s website for the latest updates and information.
Written by: Jessie Butchley, Global Immigration Writer, Envoy Global
Source: The Government of Canada