Skip to main content

Key Points

  • Canada published applications steps and requirements for H-1B Specialty Occupation holders seeking to immigrate to Canada under an open work permit


The Canadian government published further information on its pathway for highly skilled foreign nationals seeking entry and work authorization in Canada. Under the new initiative, anyone holding a US-issued H-1B Specialty Occupation Visa who currently lives in the US will be permitted to apply for an open work permit in Canada.

Permit fees are currently set at $155. The permit will be granted for a period of up to three years. Applicants whose passport expires in less than three years will be granted a work permit that will expire on the same date as the passport. Extensions are currently not permitted under this pathway.

The pathway will initially be open for a period of one year or until 10,000 applications are received, whichever comes first. For additional information on the application process and requirements, check here.

What are the Changes?

The Canadian government officially opened its open work permit pathway for highly skilled foreign nationals who have been granted an H-1B Specialty Occupation Visa in the US.

Looking Ahead

Continue to check the government of Canada’s website for the latest updates and information.

Written by: Jessie Butchley, Global Immigration Writer, Envoy Global
Source: Government of Canada

Close Menu

Corporate Immigration Partners

Chicago Office
+1 312-722-6300

Cincinnati Office
+1 513-381-2011

San Francisco Office
+1 415-771-7500

Europe, Middle East, and Africa
+44 20 34326564

+86 10 84053554