- The German government has provided more information for UK nationals regarding Brexit
- UK nationals living in Germany before December 31, 2020 do not need a residence permit
- A residence permit is required for all UK nationals arriving on January 1, 2021 or later
- A grace period exempts UK nationals in Germany through March 31, 2020 from obtaining a residence permit
- UK nationals in Germany should register with the local Registration Office by December 31, 2020
- UK nationals in Germany must register with the Immigration Office by June 30, 2021
The German government has provided additional information for UK nationals who are currently living in Germany or plan to move there by December 31, 2020.
The Brexit transition is in place through December 31, 2020. UK nationals who moved to Germany before December 31, 2020 are guaranteed freedom of movement and residency through the Withdrawal Agreement. UK nationals who arrive in Germany on or after January 1, 2021 will be treated like third-country nationals.
What are the Changes?
UK nationals who are in Germany or who move to Germany by December 31, 2020 may be eligible for residency under the Withdrawal Agreement However, most UK nationals who are living in Germany need a residence permit to live there in 2021 following the Brexit transition.
Through March 31, 2021, a grace period is in effect for UK nationals who moved to Germany before December 31, 2020. UK nationals who were living in or moved to Germany before December 31, 2020 are exempt from the residence permit requirement through March 31, 2020. However, they will need a residence permit when the grace period ends.
What Should Employers and Applicants Know?
Employers of UK nationals should make sure that their employees are eligible to become residents under the Withdrawal Agreement. Otherwise, they may not be eligible to work in Germany. UK nationals who are in Germany should register with the local registration office by December 31, 2020. Additionally, they must register with the Immigration Office no later than June 30, 2021.