- On October 1, 2022, the government of the United Kingdom will open online services for checking a foreign national employee’s immigration status
The United Kingdom’s (UK) government will introduce a new employer service on October 1, 2022. The service was initially made available on April 1, 2022. It has now expanded to allow employers to check an employee or potential employee’s immigration status if the individual cannot show proof of documents or immigration status. According to the government announcement, this could be the case if:
- The foreign national has an outstanding appeal, review, or application lodged with the Home Office, OR
- The foreign national arrived in the UK before 1989 and does not have documents with proof of immigration status or right to work
Employers are responsible for checking an employee’s status if they hold:
- A digital or non-digital Certificate of Application that requires the holder to perform a right-to-work check with the Home Office, OR
- An Application Registration Card
For additional insight into the required information for conducting an employer check through the online service, check here.
What are the Changes?
The government of the UK will introduce a new online service for employers who need to check a current or potential employee’s immigration status in the country. In some cases, these checks will be required for foreign nationals holding certain document types.
Continue to check the government of the UK’s website for the latest updates and information.
Written by: Jessie Butchley, Global Immigration Writer, Envoy Global
Source: Government of the United Kingdom