- DOS has announced a new policy that makes it more difficult for some business travelers from the UK, Schengen Area, and Ireland to obtain a National Interest Exception (NIE) from Presidential Proclamation 10143
- DOS rescinded its previous policy for travelers eligible for an NIE under PP 10143
- The changes may affect B, E, H, L, O, and P nonimmigrants and some ESTA applicants
- Entry into the US is now permitted for workers offering vital support for critical infrastructure.
- DOS will continue to issue NIEs for qualified travelers who are entering the US for purposes related to public health response, humanitarian travel, and national security
- NIE criteria remains unchanged for academics, journalists, and students seeking entry into the US with a J-1 visa
- No previously issued NIEs will be revoked
- DOS has not yet provided details on how it will apply the new standards