- Registration is now open for the 2023 Diversity Visa Lottery
- The State Department will accept applications electronically through November 9, 2021, noon EST
- Approximately 55,000 diversity immigrant visas will be awarded in a random selection process
- Registrants will receive a confirmation number that they can use starting May 8, 2022, to check their status
- Only one application may be submitted per person
The State Department has announced that registration has opened for the 2023 Diversity Visa lottery. Applications will be accepted electronically through the State Department’s e-DV website through November 9, 2021, at noon EST.
For FY 2023, approximately 55,000 diversity immigrant visas will be available to individuals from countries with historically low immigration rates to the US. As before, lottery winners will be selected through a random process. Registrants will receive a confirmation number when they apply, and they may use that number to see if they have been chosen to start on May 8, 2022. Registrants may only submit an entry form online using the State Department’s website to apply for the lottery. Paper applications will not be accepted. Applications are limited to one per person. Submitting multiple entries may disqualify a registrant from receiving a visa.
Individuals from the following countries may not apply for a 2023 Diversity Visa: Bangladesh, Brazil, Canada, China (including Hong Kong), Colombia, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, India, Jamaica, Mexico, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, South Korea, Taiwan, United Kingdom (except Northern Ireland) and its dependent territories, Venezuela, and Vietnam. Individuals born in Macau SAR and Taiwan are eligible.
Eligible individuals should follow instructions from the State Department to apply online. Additionally, the State Department advises registrants to avoid waiting until the deadline to apply to prevent delays and potential website impacts due to a high volume of registrations.