Skip to main content

Key Points

  • Canada will allow Hong Kong nationals to apply for an open work permit while awaiting a decision on a permanent resident permit


The government of Canada will allow Hong Kong permanent resident applicants to apply for an open work permit while waiting for the resident permit to be adjudicated. These measures will go into effect on May 27, 2024.

To qualify, applicants must have applied under Stream A or B of the temporary public policy for Hong Kong SAR residents in Canada and held a work or study permit in Canada within the past three years. This new policy will be in effect for five years.

Looking Ahead

Continue to check the government of Canada’s website for the latest updates and information.

Written by: Jessie Butchley, Global Immigration Writer, Envoy Global
Source: Government of Canada

Close Menu

Corporate Immigration Partners

Chicago Office
+1 312-722-6300

Cincinnati Office
+1 513-381-2011

San Francisco Office
+1 415-771-7500

Europe, Middle East, and Africa
+44 20 34326564

+86 10 84053554