Skip to main content

Key Points

  • The government of China reduced visa application requirements for applicants for a Z visa and S1 or S2 visas


The government of China will no longer require select foreign nationals seeking to enter the country for work purposes or to visit a family to apply for an invitation letter, known as a PU letter. These measures will apply to foreign nationals who have obtained work authorization in China through a Z visa application and hold a valid Notification Letter of Foreigner’s Work Permit, as well as to dependent spouses and children (S1 or S2 visa applicants) under the age of 18.

Business visa applicants must still obtain a PU letter before submitting their application to the immigration officials. PU letters are issued by the province where the foreign national will be employed.

What are the Changes?

The government of China will no longer require applicants for the Z visa and S1/S2 dependent visas to obtain a PU invitation letter. Business visa applicants will still be required to obtain a PU letter. All travelers entering China will still be required to meet all COVID-19 pre- and post-arrival requirements.

Looking Ahead

Continue to check the government of China’s website for the latest updates and information.

Written by: Jessie Butchley, Global Immigration Writer, Envoy Global
Source: The State Council of the People’s Republic of China

Close Menu

Corporate Immigration Partners

Chicago Office
+1 312-722-6300

Cincinnati Office
+1 513-381-2011

San Francisco Office
+1 415-771-7500

Europe, Middle East, and Africa
+44 20 34326564

+86 10 84053554