- Finland Immigration Service announced more Brexit information for British citizens
- Current residents of Finland must apply for residency through September 30, 2021 Individuals who have been in Finland for five uninterrupted years can apply for permanent residence rights
- Individuals with a right of permanent residency as EU citizens before January 1, 2020, can change their residence status to permanent residency
- British citizens abroad can apply for residency rights through a Finnish Embassy or Consulate
- Individuals who have applied for permanent residency but do not meet the requirements can submit a form through the Finland Immigration Service’s website
- Individuals arriving in Finland after the Brexit transition must apply for residency as non-EU citizens
- The Finland Immigration Service has announced additional information for British citizens to apply for residency under the Brexit withdrawal agreement
What are the Changes?
- British citizens who are residents of Finland before December 31, 2020, must apply for residency again through September 30, 2021, to remain in the country.
- British citizens who legally reside in Finland for five uninterrupted years but are not yet permanent residents as EU citizens can apply for permanent residence rights under the withdrawal agreement.
- British citizens holding a right of permanent residency as EU citizens issued before January 1, 2021, can apply to change their residence status into permanent residency under the withdrawal agreement.
- British citizens who previously registered for residency in Finland but are living abroad can temporarily apply for a right of residence outside the country. They should submit their applications to the nearest Finnish Embassy or Consulate.
- British citizens applying for permanent residence status for themselves or a child who is a British citizen and have registered for a right of permanent residence but who do not meet the residency requirements must complete a form available through the Finland Immigration Service website.
- Individuals arriving in Finland for the first time after the Brexit transition ends on December 31, 2020, cannot apply for a right of residence under the withdrawal agreement. Instead, they must apply for residence permits as individuals arriving from non-EU countries.