- Eligible non-permanent residents based outside of Hong Kong will be permitted to apply for an extension of stay
The authorities of Hong Kong announced that eligible non-permanent residents outside Hong Kong would be permitted to apply for an extension of stay beginning April 8, 2022. The extension is expected to expire on December 31, 2022.
The extension will apply to individuals under the following schemes:
- General Employment Policy (including both employment and investment as entrepreneurs)
- Admission Scheme for Mainland Talents and Professionals
- Quality Migrant Admission Scheme
- Immigration Arrangements for Non-Local Graduates
- Admissions schemes for second-generation Chinese Hong Kong Permanent Residents
- The Technology Talent Admission Scheme
- The Capital Investment Entrant Scheme
- Students enrolled in a full-time study program
Under the extension rules, the applicant must be physically present in Hong Kong when the application is submitted and the e-Visa is collected. The authorities are working to administer options for Hong Kong non-permanent residents who are currently outside the region and cannot return.
Eligible applicants will be required to submit their applications online or through a sponsor or authorized representative in Hong Kong. For additional information, click here.
What are the Changes?
The authorities of Hong Kong implemented a new measure that will allow eligible non-permanent residents outside of Hong Kong to apply for an extension of stay effective April 8, 2022.
The authorities announced that they are exploring options for Hong Kong non-permanent residents who are currently outside the region and cannot return. Continue to check Hong Kong’s website authorities for the latest updates and information.