- UK nationals who are frontier workers can apply for a Frontier Worker’s Document online
- UK national frontier workers can continue working in the Netherlands past December 31, 2020
- UK nationals with an employer outside the Netherlands and self-employed workers are eligible
- A Dutch residence permit will be required starting January 1, 2021 for stays that exceed 90 days
- UK nationals must register in the Dutch Civic Register to be eligible for work
- The Frontier Worker’s Document has a five-year validity
UK nationals who are frontier workers can now apply online with the Dutch Immigration Authorities (IND) for a Frontier Worker’s Document. The document allows them to continue working in the Netherlands past the Brexit transition, which ends on December 31, 2020.
As part of the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement, frontier workers have the right to continue working in the Netherlands following the transition. The Netherlands will require a work authorization document for cross-border commuters.
What are the Changes?
- UK nationals who are employed by an employer located in the Netherlands, along with self-employed UK frontier workers who are legally residing outside the Netherlands, may be eligible for a Frontier Worker’s Document.
- Other UK national non-residents of the Netherlands, such as individuals working in the Netherlands on an assignment basis, business visitors, and posted employees, must have a separate work permit to be eligible to work in the Netherlands starting on January 1, 2021.
- On January 1, 2021, UK nationals must have a Dutch residence permit to stay in the Netherlands for more than 90 days. Because the Frontier Worker’s Document does not authorize residency, UK nationals have a 90-day limit to stay in the Netherlands in a 180-day period.
What Should Employers and Applicants Know?
To be eligible for a Frontier Worker’s Document, UK nationals must register as non-residents in the Dutch Civic Register (RNI). They must have a BSN to apply. Biometrics are required for all applicants before they can receive their Frontier Worker’s Document. The document has a five-year validity, and it permits UK nationals to enter and leave the country in addition to staying for work purposes.
UK nationals who are eligible for a Frontier Worker’s Document should apply as soon as possible.