- Canada launched a new process for inviting foreign nationals to apply for permanent residency under the Express Entry system
The government of Canada launched a new process for inviting foreign nationals to apply for permanent residency under the Express Entry system. As a result, the government will select additional prospective applicants with specific skills, training, or language abilities that can benefit the Canadian economy. This year, category-based selection invitations will focus on candidates holding the following skills:
- Strong French language proficiency, OR
- Work experience in the following fields:
- Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) professions
- Trades, such as carpenters, plumbers, and contractors
- Transport, and
- Agriculture and agri-food
What are the Changes?
The Canadian government will adjust how applicants are selected for permanent residency under the Express Entry system. According to the government, a category-based selection process under Express Entry will allow Canada to adjust its immigration system to the country’s specific needs and expand labor options for foreign nationals. The first category-based invitations to apply are expected to be sent this summer.
Further details on the timing of invitations for individual categories and how to apply will be announced in the coming weeks. Continue to check the Government of Canada’s website for the latest updates and information.
Written by: Jessie Butchley, Global Immigration Writer, Envoy Global
Source: Government of Canada