- Sweden plans to introduce a new proposal for more stringent requirements for foreign nationals applying for Swedish citizenship
The government of Sweden plans to introduce a new proposal for more stringent requirements for foreign nationals applying for Swedish citizenship. Under the proposal, the government aims to:
- Introduce a longer habitual residence in Sweden for applicants to acquire citizenship
- Introduce additional requirements on knowledge about Swedish society and Swedish culture to acquire citizenship
- Introduce a self-support requirement to acquire citizenship
- Add more stringent requirements of an ‘honest lifestyle’ to acquire citizenship
- Examine whether a requirement of a citizenship interview, an oath of loyalty, or some similar ceremonial element to conclude the process of acquiring citizenship should be introduced
- Reframe how examination procedures are conducted for releasing a child’s citizenship
The government will review the proposal and introduce approved changes by September 30, 2024.
What are the Changes?
According to the announcement, the aim is to enhance citizenship status and promote an inclusive society of empowered individuals with improved opportunities to participate in the community actively.
Continue to check the government of Sweden’s website for the latest updates and information.
Written by: Jessie Butchley, Global Immigration Writer, Envoy Global
Source: Government Offices of Sweden